Our ethos ‘to do all things through Christ who strengthens me’ is a great influence and guide within our English Curriculum. At Hoole St Michael ‘we are a reading school’ that strive to support children in developing a love of reading, writing and spoken language. We offer a varied and exciting curriculum that not only provides the children with the skills they need to be competent in reading, writing, spelling, grammar and punctuation; but that provides opportunities that nurture the children’s passion for the subject, helping them to be confident, resilient learners who have a thirst for English knowledge.
We are a caring school determined to produce bold and courageous learners that are confident to use their skills learnt in English in all subjects across the curriculum. We want our pupils to be able to apply their language and listening skills to real life situations that support their development into caring, understanding citizens that are able to build strong relationships and work together with others.
All the English skills are modelled by staff around school, as well as practised through growth mindset and SUMO (stop, understand and move on) sessions, where staff and pupils use their literary skills to help support their mental health.
Our aim for our pupils, is to ensure they leave Hoole St Michael with confidence in their own ability of the subject, and with a range of skills to help them succeed:
- Read widely and often, for both pleasure and information, easily, fluently and with good understanding.
- Develop strategies to support reading and understanding of new vocabulary.
- Acquire a wide vocabulary, and be confident and able to use this, both during English lessons and cross curricularly.
- Have an understanding of grammar and how to use it.
- Write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences.
- Use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas.
- To be competent and confident when speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debates.
The English Subject Leaders are Miss Topping and Mrs Lever