Welcome back to the second half of the first term back! We hope you have all had an enjoyable and relaxing and safe half term break. We are looking forward to the exciting things this part of the year will bring!
What’s happening this half term?
This term in Atlantis our topic is called ‘Robots’ During this topic, we will be looking at robots and how they are very different from us as humans. We will be creating our own robots which will become the main character for our own fantasy stories! We will also be writing a recount about how we planned, built, and evaluated these fantastic models!
- Maths, English, guided reading and phonics are taught daily alongside other areas of the curriculum.
- Reading: Children will always benefit from listening to grown-ups reading. This is where we really hope to foster a love of reading and enthuse your child. Reading for pleasure will be taught through your child listening to stories, poems, non-fiction texts, rhymes and fairy/traditional tales. There’s nothing better than listening to a good story or poem, perfect for bed-time chilling out time!
- We ask that your child reads every night using their new books (phonics book and enjoyment book) and that you record this in their new reading record book. Please write a positive comment which we can re-iterate with your child. Then, add any additional comments you wish for us to see about your child’s reading e.g. If you think your child needs to re-read this book; if there are any words/graphemes your child has had difficulty with. It is vital that your child reads every day at home.
- Maths: In Year 1 and 2, the focus within mathematics is to build fluency, problem-solving and reasoning across all the mathematical strands. This half term sees us focusing on numbers and in particular place value. We will be working within numbers your child is familiar with and getting them to have a deep understanding of numbers.
- Times Tables: We will be continuing with our work with TT Rockstar we will be continuing with our 2, 5 and 10-times tables! Keep an eye out for a teacher challenge-can you beat Mr. Pitcher and Mrs. Horn??
- Spelling: Spellings will be sent out every Monday. these will be formed from the graphemes we have been learning plus any Y1/2 common exception words. Tests will be the following Monday giving all children the full week and weekend to learn their spellings.
- Homework: Please see the attached sheet for you to pin up at home which has all the details that you need about homework.
- PE: Please ensure your child has their labelled PE kit in school. PE days will be on a Monday and Friday.
Autumn 1 Topic Web
If you didn’t manage to make our Meet the teacher zoom meeting please see below the Powerpoint we shared, if you have any questions then please don’t hesitate to drop Mr. Pitcher or Mrs. Horn a message.
Autumn 1- Fire! Fire!
This term in Atlantis our topic is called ‘Fire! Fire!’ During this topic, we will be looking at The Great Fire of London and the differences between 1666 and the modern-day. We will also (hopefully) be organising a virtual tour of the local fire station where we can discuss all things fire safety!
English: This half term as part of our literacy unit, we will be looking at a range of texts; stories, recounts and poetry. we will be looking at stories with a pattern. Our first story will be Zog, by Julia Donaldson. This book is about a dragon who learns to do new skills in different year groups. The children will be learning how to write questions and facts about the main character, using capital letters and full stops or question marks. Next, we will be looking at poems based on a theme. Our poems will be based on the Great Fire of London and the ladybird, ladybird fly away home poem. Our final unit will be looking at the features of information texts and how they are structured, We will be using our growing knowledge of the Great Fire of London to produce an information booklet on the events.
History: In this theme, we will learn about the distinction between past and present for example; London’s houses and people in 1666 compared to their modern-day equivalent. The children will also begin to recognise that their own lives are different from the lives of people in the past by describing some of the topics, events and people that they will be studying (e.g. comparing modern fire engines to fire marks and leather buckets)
Geography– We will be looking at London as the capital of England. We will be able to locate London on a map of the UK and identify some characteristics of the capital city.
Maths- In maths this term and for the rest of the year, we will be using the White Rose Maths scheme of work. This scheme of work has specially adapted to help children with the education they missed during the lockdown period.
PE-PE this year will be in the afternoons on Monday and Friday, please can you ensure your child has their full P.E kit including pumps! We will also be completing a daily run which will take place from 2 pm -2.10 pm.
Look out for updates on our exciting events in class on Dojo – there will be DAILY updates from us in Atlantis so make sure you find a quiet moment to share our day.